Friday, December 5, 2008

Thing #13

Online productivity tools: that's an oxymoron. I have been looking for a good calendar. If 30 boxes synced with my phone, it would be perfect. It does not however. Still there's a chance I'll actually remember that I signed up as in syncs with my Facebook. My Facebook page is really important* to me. I check it probably 5 or six times a year.

I went with both iGoogle page and My Yahoo. Why? Because I already had them. I find both almost completely useless. Almost. I just don't need "my" preference in my face all the time. I'm happy to go out and get my e-mail when I want it as opposed to having a smiley face pop up every time I get a new e-mail. Also, I'm not a big news reader, and the stuff I do care about isn't an option to have on the front of my iGoogle or my My Yahoo page. If I was an Internet junkie, I could see why this stuff would be the hippest hypest, as I'm more of a casual internetter, I just don't find myself gravitating to these tools.

If I was a heavy Internet user these tools good be very useful at home and at work. But I'm not, so they are not.

I do like 30 boxes. Not enough to fold it into my life and spout to all my friends and relations about how much I adore it, but I like it enough that I'll probably use in for at least a week.

I make to do lists ALL THE TIME**, but here's the thing, they need to be quick and portable. As I'm not in the habit of dragging my laptop into Target with me, I find online to do lists unhelpful and cumbersome. A little piece of paper is infinitely more useful to me.

I've tried Lifehacker before and thought it was the bees knees for about a week, then I forgot it existed until now. There's just too much out there. It all gets lost.

I looked at Backpack. All I can say is "No thanks". Perhaps I'm getting full of website and online aps and cool ways to access my information, but as I watched the "How easy it is to make a Backpack page" I found myself rolling my eyes. I think that means it's time to call it quits for the day.

*Italics denote sarcasm

** All caps denotes my being actually serious about this statement. Any statement not in all caps has approximately a 50% chance of being serious.

No comments:

 
Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog