Monday, November 24, 2008

Thing #7

E-Mail: I love e-mail. I would have e-mail as my primary means of communication if I could get away with it. I love e-statements from my bank, I love having time think before I reply, and I love that e-mail isn't as invasive as a phone ring. I've had a g-mail account for forever, plus I have a yahoo account. I also have a work e-mail, and I've tried hotmail and about a billion other e-mail services. I dig it.

Instant Messaging: I never got into instant messaging. We do reference via IM here and that's cool, but personally, I never got that into it. I do have a bunch of IM accounts, and thank you Trillian for making them all accessible at the same time. I tried to get into IMing to keep in touch with college friends, but it just never clicked with me.

Texting: I'm loving the texting. Don't ask me why I'm not down with IMing, but I love texting. I get so many little chuckle nuggets throughout the day via text. Just a quick little 150 or less character giggle in my phone. It's great. I can see people wanting reference questions anwered via texting. It's just fun. Plus it's the only way I can keep in touch with my sister.

Webinar: I've attended many webinars. There was somethnig about helping patrons not too long ago, and a some training I've gone to has been via webinar. What I like about webinars is it allows you to get training that you might not have had a good way to get to before. It's convienent, and you get to connect with scads of folks you wouldn't otherwise. The things I don't like are: the technology never seems to work completely right. There's always at least one person who can't hear, or isn't at the right site, or the power goes out, or your mouse catches on fire. Also, it's hard to get your questions answered if there are 100 other folks listening in.

Twitter: I set up a twitter account. I could actually see work application for twitter. You could update where you're at on a project throughout the day, or where you are physically in the building (I do a lot of running around. I'm hardly ever in my office). I might like Twitter. I'm give it a shot and see if it floats my boat

No comments:

 
Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog