Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Thing 34

Answer Sites: I think answer sites are fun. Some of the stupid questions people ask are hilarious, plus some of the answers can be hysterical too. And I think that's the appeal. A lot of the questions people are asking aren't factual. It's somebody wanting an opinion on their hair, or wanting relationship advice. there were some questions that had real answers, but those questions were in the minority. Also, people were using the question site as a jumping off point for discussions, or to validate a thought. I didn't see a whole lot of stuff that belonged at the reference desk. I don't like people are using these site as primary definitive answers. It's just a fun way to get some quick info.

I looked at Yahoo Answers and Askville. They were booth similar and both had the comedy of silly questions and laughable answers.

the Slam the Boards thing seems to run counter the the purpose of the sites to me. the site themselves seem light and fun, the slam the boards thing seems like a way of saying "In Your Face! Our Library-Fu Defeats you Google-Jitsu!" Which is sort of silly. Besides, what sort of primary source do you use for the question "OMG, should i cut my hair short?"?

I answered a video game question at Yahoo Answer. It seemed fine. I didn't feel the urge to wash my hands afterwards anyway.

So, yeah, the one thing I think this raises for me is that these answer site are fun. Are libraries fun? When was the last time you got a fun reference question that made you smile? Do patrons think of libraries as a fun place?

2 comments:

Bill Pardue said...

Hi, Andrew! I keep a google alert for things like "slam the boards," so I saw your posting. I agree that there's a strong social component to many of those sites, but there are a number of "serious" questions, too. For example, I end up answering a number of directional questions or ones that might lead to agency referrals, etc. So there's definitely an element of "mining" out there. For my own purposes, I use google alerts and try to at least see any questions coming in that deal with my geographic area. I recently handled one on the necessity of getting a permit for building a deck in our town. So they're out there. I guess the bigger question is what's the best way to get to them while not getting bogged down by all the social questions.

The larger point of "slam," though, is that we should perhaps look in unorthodox areas to show off our skills--and showing off is definitely part of the exercise. Questions are being asked in many places. Y!Answers, LinkedIn's Questions section (some big-time business discussions there), local blogs, Facebook groups, Twitter, discussion boards, etc. Any of those types of sources are fair game for "slamming," i.e., providing authoritative, sourced answers and referrals and making it clear that you're a librarian who can help with this sort of thing any time. Hope that gets some ideas going!

Andrew Stehr said...

I totally see your point Bill, I do believe Library folks abilities are under appreciated by the masses. And answers sites are perfect for showcasing question answering ability. And if I was a heavy user of answers site, I would want good answers with sources.

Mainly I wonder if library's are seen as places that are as fun as an answer site. Library certainly kick large amounts of bottom when it comes to giving great answers, but do we sell ourselves as fun and interesting.

 
Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog